Saturday, December 8, 2007

My Popcorn Addiction

I have a vice, and it's called popcorn. The buttery-er the better! Lately I haven't been able to settle for plain old microwave popcorn, although it's been good to me in the past. And there are those that swear by the air popper, but I require a buttery taste, and I don't like soggy popcorn. The answer (unless you have a movie-theater-style popper in your home) is stove-popped corn.

The flavor of this yummy treat is indelible in my taste-buds' memories. My mom used to make a HUGE bowl of it for dinner sometimes, and we would eat it on our family room floor, picnic-style on a sheet while we watched a movie.

So now when I'm craving a delicous snack, or can't think of what to make for dinner, out comes the pot, the butter-flavor Crisco, and the kernels. I've perfected the art of popcorn making, and perfection tastes so good.


By "pop"ular demand, here are instructions for the perfect stove-popped corn:

1) On medium-high heat, melt enough Butter-flavored Crisco in a large pan to cover the bottom to approximately 1/8 to 1/4 inch (I never measure--the amount depends on how much buttery flavor I'm craving)

2) Wait until the Crisco is 'smokin' hot--you can throw one kernel in, and when it pops, it should be hot enough (if your kernels don't pop very big, you know your Crisco wasn't hot enough).

3) Pour enough popcorn kernels in to cover the bottom in one layer (again, I never measure, and I don't spring for the 'Brand Name' popcorn either--store brand works perfectly). Cover the pot with a lid, but make sure there is a crack so the steam can escape. (make sure to wear oven mitts)

4) Now shake your booty! (Chad loves this part.) Keep shaking the pot on the burner while the kernels heat up and start popping--don't stop or it'll burn. When the popping slows down (just like microwave popcorn) remove from heat. Pour into a large bowl, and salt to taste while still hot. Enjoy! Any leftovers will store great until the next day in an air-tight container--it stays nice and crunchy!

Give it a try!

2 comments:

Jaime Lynne said...

Woa! I love the combination of your inspired words and the awesome pics. These small and simple delights and moments really bring joy into our lives an blogging them makes them even less forgettable.

Love this! You could even post you directions for popping the perfect popcorn on your blog. (hint, hint.)

Unknown said...

Awesome I ran out of canola. And the kids are asking for popcorn. I got butter Crisco!!!!! Yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...