Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"Homemade" Honey Buns

I'm a big fan of donuts. I'm also a big fan of cinnamon rolls. When I saw a certain episode of "Unwrapped" (those evil food shows!) that unveiled the technique for making those honey buns that come prepackaged, I had a brilliant idea: just make up some cinnamon rolls, then instead of baking them, deep fry them! Genius! So okay, I took a major shortcut, and used Pillsbury cinnamon roll dough to test my idea. But I'm telling you, you have to try this if you want the best of both the donut and cinnamon roll worlds. Just heat the oil to 350-375 (if you don't have a thermometer, you'll have to do a test roll). Flatten the rolls so they'll cook all the way through. Getting the oil the right temp is the trickiest part: too hot and the outside is finished before the inside. Not hot enough and the roll will absorb too much oil. It's best to use a deep fat fryer. Oh, and be sure to mix up some extra frosting so you can coat the rolls on all sides. Sooooo yummy!

2 comments:

elise said...

that. is. seriously. brilliant.

i miss you guys and cookie wednesday!

Frances Wallace said...

Do you deliver?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...