Sunday, September 27, 2009

Lion's Head

I've been on an Asian-craving kick lately, so yesterday I made a new Chinese recipe that Joanna introduced to me. I put my own spin on it after looking at a couple of versions online, and it's super easy. I think it turned out DELICIOUS, and love that I have recipe to actually use cabbage in. It's called Lion's Head because the meatball "heads" are surrounded by a "mane" of cabbage. The measurements aren't really exact; you just have to sprinkle the seasonings in to taste.

Meatballs:
1 pound mild pork sausage (or use lean ground beef or turkey if you want to go healthy, but you might want to bump up the seasonings)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup bread crumbs (these are probably optional, but nice if you've got them on hand)
1 egg
onion powder
ginger powder
*Combine ingredients in a bowl, then form meatballs (I use a medium cookie scoop) and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile, steam:
1 1/2 cups white rice
1/2 to 1 head of cabbage (you could also use bok choy, which is more authentic)

Sauce:
1 can chicken broth
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp vinegar
1/8 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
onion powder
garlic powder
ginger powder
*Bring to a boil in medium pot until slightly thickened.

When meatballs, sauce, rice, and cabbage are done, combine the meatballs and sauce in the pot. Put a bed of rice on your plate, pile on a "mane" of cabbage, and spoon the meatballs and sauce over top. Recipe serves 4. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jaime Lynne said...

I am a little suspicious of the cabbage. Cabbage is so stinky. But I trust your taste. I'll put this on my list of "To Try" recipes.

Frances Wallace said...

Sounds delicious! We love cabbage.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...