Friday, March 23, 2012

Where do the days go?

I still feel like the new year is just beginning. Wasn't it yesterday that I was making all those resolutions? Surely that must be the case, because otherwise I don't know how to account for over two months passing me by, and here I sit, unable to account for my time.


I do, however, have a few theories to explain this "lost time" phenomenon.


The first being that my female hormones have been out of control. I may or may not come from a family with a history of less-than-stable emotional/psychological status. Perhaps I too often use crazy hormones as an excuse. But going from breastfeeding to weaning, throw in the post-pregnancy return of my monthly cycle, then the subsequent PMS that lasted like 3 weeks because I was still irregular...well, let's just say it hasn't been pretty.


My second theory revolves around the new job I started in January, working just a few hours a month as an RN at our family practice office, doing Medicare Wellness appointments. I have been out of the work force for a long time, and it's been a little stressful going back to work, trying to perform competently, and thinking about my plan for my future career, feeling unsure about how I want to work it into my family timeline.


Theory number three is basically being the mother of three kids under the age of 6. Oh yeah, and homeschooling Bree's kindergarten, and trying to teach Mason stuff a preschooler should know. Bree is a precocious almost-6-year-old, who either needs a daily bath or deodorant to keep the body odor at bay. (Why do I always forget to bathe my kids? What is wrong with me?) And she always wants to go somewhere and do something, so the days when we just stay home (which, to be honest, is most days), are sooo dreary. And everything is sooo dramatic. Then there's Mason, who is probably going to be a lefty, despite all my right hand encouragement. He is crazy and impulsive, and today is sporting a heavily bandaged right hand because two days ago he touched the hot stove. He screamed for a solid hour until the Tylenol with Codeine (leftover from his last heinous injury) kicked in. And Lincoln, who continues to be delightfully mellow and happy, has just broken his third tooth (two on the bottom, and a new one on top). He is starting to tentatively cruise along the furniture, putting everything within reach into his mouth. His favorite pastime is eating the bathroom garbage.


So, life has felt hectic even though I don't feel like we have enough "going on" to justify use of the word. But I think things are looking up. Spring has arrived, and the comfortable sunshine is infusing me with new energy. And I think my female hormones are almost back to normal. And I've joined the Biggest Loser group at our church, so I've been getting more exercise, and have lost over 4% of my body weight so far. I'm feeling pretty darn good. And I'm hoping to get the most out of each day, whether that means planting those flowers that have been on my kitchen table since last weekend, crossing something off my list of goals, or going on a walk with the kids. Carpe diem, right? Or at least, I can start with carpe 30 minutes. Yes, there's a good place to start.

4 comments:

The Wallace Family said...

Carpe 30 minutes :) Love it!

Frances Wallace said...

When you become a grandmother, to which happens in the blink of an eye, your whole earthly life becomes a blur! Just laugh through it, my sweet. Laugh quickly and forgive even faster.

Tavia said...

Love this entry! You always seem like such a Wonder Woman to me; gardening, baking, crafting, being a great mom, this entry encourages me that maybe we are related... :) Three kids is HARD! Just know that you are loved and I really enjoy hearing about your latest adventures, whether hormonally induced or not. :)

Jaime Lynne said...

Beautiful words, Meg. These posts make the distance between Globe and Vegas seem so much shorter... but still too far. I am so lucky you consider me a friend. I learn much from and are always inspired by you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...