Friday, April 17, 2009

There's always room for dessert

Just as a heads-up, this post is not an attempt to toot my own horn. On the contrary, I am letting you in on a dirty little secret (one that may cause serious repercussions if read by the wrong people). Because I am a mother of two (with one on the way), stay-at-home-mom, wife of a cop with a crazy work schedule, and Relief Society president, I often have people say to me, "You have enough on your plate." And I nod and agree wholeheartedly. Yes, I do have a lot on my plate. But I find that as crazy as things may be (or as crazy as I let people believe them to be), and as full as my plate is, there is always room for dessert. I don't care how stuffed I am, I'm always able to stomach a cookie or slice of pie. And I can always make time in my life for stuff that I enjoy.

I'm not going to lie; I'm a pretty selfish person. I don't let my kids/husband/church calling/housework rule my life. I enjoy a lot of time-consuming activities that other people are always saying they don't have time for. "I don't have time to watch movies." "I don't have time to read books." "I don't have time to have a garden/bake bread/write on my blog." When I hear people say that, it makes me wonder if I don't have my priorities straight, because I can easily find/make time to do all those things. Am I neglecting important things? Yeah, sometimes. Could I be a better Relief Society President? Yep. Could my house be cleaner? Oh, yeah. But, like my weakness for dessert, I have a serious need to enjoy some selfish pleasures. Thankfully I have a very supportive husband (Chad's catch phrase is "Who cares? Do whatever you want."), and my kids aren't huge fans of my housecleaning/calling fulfilling/general obsessing anyway, so I take it that at least they're on my side. Thank goodness for that.

5 comments:

Frances Wallace said...

Kudos to you. You aren't driven by your insecurities like your mother-in-law. You have a great since of self.

Of course you do most things in half the time it takes most of us. You have more talent than most of us and you accomplish in ten minutes on the computer that which takes most of us an hour.

Thanks "Smarty Pants"! Love you.

emilybolles said...

I'm a believer! What a great motto. But your mother in law does make a good point. You are a very talented person and can make very hard things look like a piece of cake. I'm pretty sure I know where you get those genes from:0)

Rachel Mai said...

Amen, Amen, Amen!!! I am so glad that someone else thinks this. For me, it's never about "do I have enough time." Instead it is about, "where do I want the time I have to be spent."

Thanks for being selfish, Megan--as a new mom who hasn't let go of her old ways, it makes me feel less guilty!!! :)

Heather said...

Congrats and keep it up.

Jaime Lynne said...

Well said and AMEN to all of this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...