Sunday, April 6, 2014

Conference Cash

Twice a year we block out Saturday and Sunday to watch and listen to our church leaders in General Conference. It's two two-hour blocks on each day. We expect our kids to watch with us.

This isn't easy.

I've tried a few things in the past to help them stay focused. This year I added Conference Cash to the equation. They could earn Cash by completing activity pages and taking notes from the speakers. They did a pretty admirable job.






Then, after each session, they could shop in the reward store. Mason was especially motivated by the Legos (we found a huge stash at a recent yard sale--so awesome). Bree spent most of her money on candy.


My favorite thing about this set-up was that they paid attention, and were pretty quiet most of the time. Which allowed me to actually listen and take my own notes. The older I get, the more I seem to get out of Conference. It truly is a highlight. And if my kids remember nothing else, I hope they remember that we always made an effort to watch, and I hope they learn to look forward to it.

1 comment:

Jaime Lynne said...

Great idea. I especially like your comment at the end, about the kids remembering that we watched, even if they don't remember what was said.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...