Thursday, August 5, 2010

Dan the Meat Man



It may sound strange but we buy all of our steaks from out of the back of some guy's truck.  A couple years ago I was working in my yard, and a man stopped his truck in front of my house, and very politely asked if I was in the market for a good deal on beef.  Normally I don't give door-to-door salesmen the time of day, but it just so happened that at that time I had been very disappointed with our local supermarkets' lack of ability to provide my family with high quality steaks for a good price.  Chad likes his steak.  And I'm pretty picky about steak quality.  So I gave the guy the time of day, and it turned out to be so worth it.  Meet Dan ("Just call me the Meat Man," he said).  He showed me his price list, and pulled a huge box of meat out of a freezer in the bed of his truck.  He opened the box, showed me all the types of steak that were inside, and talked about the benefits of the individually wrapped, vacuum-packed, flash-frozen steaks.  Guaranteed to taste fresh after a year in the freezer.  I was sold.  I love having a freezer full of food, but I hate to have food and money go to waste because of freezer burn.  So I wrote a check, and Dan carried the box down to the freezer under the house.  And oh, how we have enjoyed the beef.  Delicious T-bones and Kansas City steaks, tender bacon-wrapped Filet Mignon, my favorite New York strip, and the best hamburger patties I've ever tasted.  Honestly.  I don't have to stress at the grocery store, wondering if the steak I'm buying will taste any good, or if I'm just throwing my money away.  And I'm always just a quick grill away from a juicy steak dinner (you can even put the frozen meat on the grill if you have trouble planning ahead enough to defrost).  The huge box lasts us almost a year, depending on how carnivorous we feel, and by that time Dan has either made his rounds again, or I just call him up to ask for more.  Thank you Dan, for coming into our lives.  Our arteries may not thank you, but our taste-buds do.



2 comments:

Frances Wallace said...

What time is dinner?

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...