Thursday, November 19, 2009

False Alarms

Yes, I did have a false alarm Tuesday morning. I was awake half the night timing contractions, unable to sleep because they were painful, but perplexed because they weren't increasing in intensity even though they were five minutes apart the whole time! So I got out of bed, grateful that I had started packing my hospital bag that very day. And we had dragged the car seat out from under our house and washed the fabric cushions but not the actual car seat, which had all kinds of funky mold all over it from not being washed properly before storage. So there I was at 3:00am, spraying the whole thing down with 409. Then I had a little snack, and got back in bed to time contractions some more. They must have stopped/slowed around 5:00, because I fell back asleep, and awoke to the alarm with a quiet uterus.

I had my OB appointment that day, and Chad and I dropped the kids with a sitter so we could spend a fun day in town for our birthdays. Needless to say I was groggy and exhausted after being up half the night. My doctor said I'm two centimeters dilated, but that could mean anything. I am having intermittent contractions every day, so things could be moving along down there. It's frustrating. I know women go through this all the time, but my last two labors had obvious/abrupt beginnings when there was no question that it was time to go to the hospital (and when the hospital is over an hour away, you REALLY don't want to drive all the way there only to be sent home again!). Anyway, we're prepared for anything, but we'd really prefer the baby to wait at least another week. Preferably until after Thanksgiving. But saying that will probably jinx us and guarantee that he'll come tomorrow!

Incidentally, we still haven't decided on a name. I'm pretty stressed about it. We might be deciding in the hospital after we meet him. Our list includes: Riley, Preston, Grady, Ryder, and Grander. But we're open to anything if something else strikes us. We want something more unique than the top 20, but nothing super-weird. Why does naming a kid have to be so hard?

5 comments:

The Wallace Family said...

Number 3!!!!! Make sure you or Chad let us know when the little guy decides to make his arrival. I love all of the names - I have had two Prestons in my class and I enjoyed both of them :)

emilybolles said...

I like all of the names too. Especially Ryder and I've always liked Preston. I'm having a little trouble with girl names. Anyways, I wish I was as far along as you are! I'm excited for you!

Tina said...

You post got me so excited! I know you are probably thinking...just wait and it won't be so exciting. I've had a few small (what my Dr calls practice) contractions. I know it is nothing right now, but its gotten me excited. Then reading about how close you are gets me more excited!
By the way I love those names. Riley and Preston are my favorites of what you have. We have some new baby boys in our branch named Brody and Tate. I think those are cute too, but Dan says Brody is cruel...grody brody...ANYWAY, we've picked out our name for a girl, but are still working on a middle name.
I'm excited for your little guys arrival. Keep us posted!

Melissa said...

Wow, I can't believe it's already time. I'm excited for you and hope you don't have too many more false alarms.

My favorite names off the list are Riley and Ryder. Another great name that is not top 20 or super wierd is Carson...:)

Good luck!

Frances Wallace said...

I can't wait. If this baby is half as cute and as wonderful as Bree and Mason, we are truly blessed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...