Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What I wanted for Christmas

Some of you may know that there was only one thing on my Christmas list, but I knew I would never get it, so I didn't have my hopes up. But on Christmas morning, what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a Bosch mixer, blender, and cookie paddles too! We are talking little-kid excitement here, with the jumping up and down and clapping. And yesterday, I used it for the first time to make whole wheat bread, which I have finally mastered after many trial loafs that resembled collapsed bricks. So delicious and healthy!

Whole Wheat Bread
Makes 4 loaves
Grind together:
6 cups wheat kernels (makes 9 1/2 to 10 cups of flour)
3 500mg vitamin C tablets (break in half)
Mix until smooth:
4 cups water
½ cup honey (or heaping 1/2 cup sugar)
½ cup powdered milk
½ cup oil
3 cups whole wheat flour
Add, and then mix for two minutes:
2 Tbsp SAF instant yeast
½ cup vital wheat gluten
Add:
2 Tbsp salt
Rest of whole wheat flour
Mix for 10-12 minutes in heavy-duty mixer, or turn out onto counter and knead for 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 150 degrees (or warm setting). When it’s preheated, turn it off.
Put dough onto oiled counter, roll into a log, and cut into 4 equal parts (3 if your pans are large). Roll dough into loaves, as if you're rolling up a sleeping bag, and plop into sprayed bread pans, seam side down.
Put pans in oven (make sure it’s warm, but turned off). Let rise for 40 minutes, then, leaving pans in the oven, turn it to 350 degrees, and bake for 20-25 minutes (total time, including preheating).

4 comments:

Frances Wallace said...

You are amazing. Now, send me some bread, hot with melted butter and honey, please.

Tina said...

That sounds really good right now. I would love some homemade bread...especially mixed in a Bosch!

elise said...

you know i lready have my bosch (which i absolutely love), but the craziest thing happened for christmas this year, my sister brought a box full of hand-me-downs for my sister and i to go through for our kids, and she had a bosch in it! she was totally giving one away because she couldn't fit it into her kitchen!!! insane!

elise said...

ps, the bread looks fabulous too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...