Thursday, October 9, 2008

Yay for October!

Although it is true that we have been "enjoying" weather in the 85-90 range, I am so ready for fall and all the festivities it brings. This past week we brought out the fall/Halloween decorations, and I realized that I couldn't possibly have Chad put up lights on our house when we haven't painted it yet (painting has been on my to-do list for months now, but I was waiting for just the right time...you know, for cooler weather, etc.). So, thanks to this motivation, Chad and I got out there and painted the chimney and eve where the orange Halloween lights were to go. Well, once I had started painting, I couldn't stop. The weather was cooperating nicely, giving me a cloud cover and a bit of humidity to prevent the paint from drying immediately in the can and on the brush, which is what would happen on a normal AZ day. Using a roller (incidentally a great work-out), paint brush, and a steady hand, I actually finished the front of the house--details and all! It looks amazing--I'll post photos next time (I haven't taken any during the daytime yet!) Anyway, to make a long story short, Chad put up the lights, and I put out the wreath, fake jack-o-lantern (a must for our hot weather), and some glowing tombstones. Bree loves going out there to look at the lights.
We also decorated a haunted cookie house. Chad put up a show of protesting, but he always gets into it once we get going, providing excellent advice. I broke down and bought a pre-assemble house kit (I've done it from scratch before, but it is a pain, and decorating is most of the fun anyway). Bree was so excited to help decorate the "cookie house" and by the time we were finished, there was black icing everywhere, but the house turned out really cute.

Finally on the agenda this week was fondue. Some friends of ours invited us over for chocolate fondue, and we took our pot since they didn't have one. Bonus: we got to take home the leftover chocolate, which meant an extra night of fondue goodness. We've never let Bree participate in the fondue-process before (for obvious reasons... chocolate + upholstery=very bad). Now that she's 2-1/2, she has mostly mastered the art of eating without making a total disaster. Also, now that she's 2-1/2, she is no longer content to always let us put food into her mouth, especially when it involves fun things like skewers and dipping that she wants to do herself. Well, not surprisingly, Bree shares her parents' love for chocolate fondue! (BTW, she dressed herself, obviously. The winter clothes just came out of storage--wishful thinking on my part--and they're still a novelty!)
So, that's what's been happening at the Wallace house this week. Stay tuned for photos on the house. And later this month, I will reveal the adorable costumes my adorable kids will be wearing for Halloween.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Wow! I don't know that I've ever seen Halloween Lights! And that house looks professionally decorated. Great job! You sure do know how to celebrate!

Frances Wallace said...

Nobody enjoys Halloween as much as your sweet family. It's awesome! Bree looks older and that makes me sad. I'm missing so much.
Your blog lets me enjoy special moments. Thank you.

Jaime Lynne said...

Is it OK that I am insanely jealous of your friends who enjoyed a fondue night with you!?! Cute Halloween House.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...