- A lizard racing your truck down the long dirt drive, and winning.
- A cow's face right outside your bedroom window, its hairy, slimy mouth chewing on a dead animal's skull.
- Your son getting up close and personal with his favorite thing: the tractor.
- Your kids "swimming" up and down their grandpa's corn field's newly plowed and flood-irrigated furrows (soil with a high clay content + water = amazing squishy mud).
- A layer of tiny pepper-weed bugs so thick on the ground that it looks like the earth is crawling.
- A large saguaro cactus with an old tire thrown over one of its arms (someone's sad version of ring-toss).
- A cow on the side of the road chewing on a bottle (what is it with those stupid cows?).
Monday, June 28, 2010
Wish I'd had my camera
The kids and I went to my parents' place this weekend, and my mom and I did the musical number in church (she's picked up the flute after a 30-year hiatus--awesome!). Things happen out where my parents live. Things you never get to see in the city.