Saturday, August 22, 2009

A bi-racial encounter

When Jaime, the kids, and I were on our way home from Logan, we passed through Provo and stayed the night with my brother Adam and his wife Heather (We also saw my amazing friend Mackenzie, but I'll post more on that when I get the pics). That evening we all went to Applebee's for dessert. While we were waiting for our food, the manager came around to ask us how we were doing (that's Applebee's thing: the manager has to visit your table or you get a free meal gift card), and he happened to be black. Who would have thought that Bree's first encounter with a black person would be in Provo?! It's not like Bree has only seen white people in her life. Globe is a very healthy mixture of white, Mexican, and Apache. But Bree could only silently stare at the manager with nervous curiosity as he asked her if she was happy (head-shake "no"), if there was anything he could get her ("no"), if she'd like some free fries or applesauce ("no"). After he left, Bree said, "I don't like that guy. He's too brown." I know I shouldn't have laughed so hard at something so inappropriate, but I couldn't stop. With tears running down my cheeks I tried to get her to see things logically, pointing out how nice "that guy" had been, wanting to make sure she was happy, and that everyone has different colored skin. Later, after we had our ice cream, the manager came around again, and we all held our breath when he asked Bree if she was happy now. Thankfully, she nodded and smiled at him through her mouthful of strawberry sundae. Sigh, happy ending.

5 comments:

Frances Wallace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

I am so glad we got to witness that! It was probably the funniest thing I've seen all summer. It was really good to see you guys too! I hope things are going well at home!

The Wallace Family said...

Love this story!!!

Hey Mom, how do you say things out "load" :)

Kellianne said...

That's hilarious! I'm glad it ended happy! And I'm glad you guys are doing well!

elise said...

cracked me up completely, i'm sending a friend of mine to read it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...