Friday, January 23, 2009
Amazing Chicken Tortilla Soup!
I've been really trying to make super-healthy meals lately (please see my other blog, More Healthy Me), and last night I didn't know what to make. I was about to pop open a can of soup, when I thought, "Why don't I make soup instead?" So I found this recipe online, which was super easy, and it turned out soooo delicious. And yes, you may notice that there are actually no tortillas in there...don't ask me why it's called Chicken Tortilla Soup...but it's less calories without them, and I didn't miss them anyway!
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
1 small can green chiles or jalapenos
2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (I left these out)
1 cup instant brown rice
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1) Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in a large pot until soft.
2) Add all the rest of the ingredients to the large pot and bring to a boil.
3) After about 15 minutes, remove the chicken breasts and shred. (I just used pre-cooked shredded chicken, so I skipped this step)
4) Simmer until rice is fully cooked
5) Each 1-cup serving only has about 195 calories as is, and we topped ours with low-fat sour cream, 2% shredded cheese, and fresh cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips if desired.